I have written this article about differences between Android Studio Vs Eclipse is something i have experienced during my android application development. And i will tell you the reason why i prefer Android Studio over Eclipse.
Eclipse is simple and shorter build time when compare to android Studio. It is very lagging when you switch between layouts and java files. Poor layout preview and not good user friendly. Good for small android application development. Faster APK build when compared to Android Studio. Since Eclipse has been around for so long you can find support from many online sources.
- Easy Portable – platform independent
- Faster IDE launch
- Good for small application development
- Simple – Because of less features
Android Studio has been released stable version on June 2015. The Android Studio IDE is based off IntelliJ IDEA from JetBrains and is being offered by Google for free which is developed and supported by Google, same developer of android OS. Which is regularly updated and adding new features and fixing bugs reported by developers making it is best choice for android application development. Greater build time when comparing with Eclipse. Advanced Code completion and refactoring tools. Some of the main features of Android Studio are as follows,
- Flexible Gradle-based build system
- Build variants and multiple apk file generation
- Code templates to help you build common app features
- Rich layout editor with support for drag and drop theme editing
- lint tools to catch performance, usability, version compatibility, and other problems
- ProGuard and app-signing capabilities
- Built-in support for Google Cloud Platform, making it easy to integrate Google Cloud Messaging and App Engine
- And much more…
Today Android Studio is stable and become the official IDE for Android Application Development. Support from Google making it future of Android Development.